It has been over two weeks since my surgery. I am recovering well. Sleeping better. less pain, a little more energy each day. Still I have cancer and that is going to be the next thing to be addressed after I heal from my surgery. My work right now is to get as healthy as I can, so that I can be ready for the next steps on this healing journey.
Part of the way that I am doing that is by enjoying the small things. The dear one got me up this morning, said let’s get dressed, grab coffees and some muffins and go for a drive. It had rained last night (which we desperately needed here), the sun was shining and everything is sparkling green. I said yes. A small joy, a time to be together, to not worry, to enjoy God’s creation.
Here are some of my recent small joys:
1. A good cup of tea in a new tea glass.
2. Rhubarb from our garden.
3. Visits from friends.
4. Getting back into my blue jeans!
5. Spending time sitting on the deck.
6. Finding new TV series to watch when my brain can’t do anything else.
7. Having enough energy to make good food with the dear one.
8. Feeling so loved and cared for by all the cards, prayers, support coming our way.
9. Watching things grow and bloom in our garden.
10. Seeing the dear one get excited about a new project in his workshop.
Yep, I am a cancer patient, but that is not all who I am. I am a woman who still feels deeply, cares much, laughs a lot, is faithful, who has amazing friends and family – that is who I really am. I am going to count the small joys each day and be grateful, because at the moment that is what I can do.